Broadband Internet Connection

O

onkeljoe2

Forum Newbie
I have a Fujitsu-Siemens B2154 notebook with Windows XP Professional operating system, and my Internet connection is ADSL Broadband.

I have some problems with which I hope the Forum will be able to help me.

1. Since my notebook does not have an Ethernet port, I established the Internet connection using the cable coming from the router using fast Ethernet Adapter. My Internet Provider recommended I use a wireless Adapter, but since my Broadband connection is through a landline, in an electronics shop they recommended that instead I use the Adapter. The transfer speed is very slow, and when I double click Local Area Connection 2, it shows a speed 100.0 Mbps (does b stand for bit?), but I think the speed should be 7 MBps.

2. When my Fujitsu Siemens notebook feels rather hot which happens when I use it for a long time, and kind of a humming noise is heard coming from it.

onkeljoe

This is normal, because ADSL-Speed isn't fast as a GBit-Ethernet or even a 100MBit-Ethernet. In best case you have over Internet a Speed of 16 MBits down, in worst case only 384 KBits down, like me. Upspeed is mostly at Asynchronous DSL (ADSL) only a tenth of the down-speed. And it will change in cause of cable-capacity used in the same area and the distance to the next DSLAM. If other neighbours have ADSL with the same speed-capacity too, and are online at the same time as you, it will increase the speed of all, when they use i.e. Youtube or P2P.
The other Problem could be dust in the ventilation-system of your Notebook. Let it clean by a "Pro" and let him change the heat transfer paste on CPU and GPU. That would cure the Ventilation-Problems.

Broadand Internet Connection

Thank you Retrostyle for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.
onkeljoe2